Journey Academy is seeking a Guide Apprentice who will flourish in our curiosity-based, learner-driven, courage-filled and Christ-centered community. Our mission is to help others find a calling and change the world.
Purpose of Guide Apprentice: To support the Lead Guides at Journey Academy and learn how to become a guide for heroes in finding a calling and changing the world.
Priority Function 1: To support and learn about a curiosity-based studio
- assisting heroes in identifying and pursuing their passions
- support on field trips to inspire heroes
- support quests and exhibitions
Priority Function 2: To support and study a learner-driven, courage-filled studio
- provide quest maps, badge requirements, challenges, rewards, and guardrails to empower and inspire.
- present processes, examples, and challenging questions
- allow heroes to learn from failure and natural consequences
- listen, affirm character traits and gifts, and praise efforts, especially when the path is difficult
- celebrate with heroes as they take on more responsibility and freedoms
- be an independent learner on your own hero’s journey
- support individual heroes in setting and achieving their learning goals
- hold up a mirror so heroes can see themselves in order to hold them accountable to the promises they have made to each other, their parents, and the guides.
- acting as a role model as an independent learner on a Hero’s Journey
- empowering heroes to own studio processes and expectations
- supporting the documentation of learning through projects, achievements, and everyday activity
- supporting the guidance of heroes through the creation of their learning portfolios
Priority Function 3: To support and participate in a Christ-centered studio
- actively engaging in one’s own journey of following Christ
- modeling and inviting heroes to explore Kingdom practices
- supporting regular reflection
- supporting opportunities for heroes to share what they are discovering
Priority Function 4: Daily Activities
- greet heroes in the morning and listen to them
- guide heroes to find resources that will help them in their academic programs.
- participate in morning launches, worship, and devotions.
- meet with heroes one-on-one for academic check-ins to guide them in their goals, discuss their academic progress, and inspire them to challenge themselves towards excellence.
- ask questions to help heroes reflect, problem solve, navigate challenges, guide heroes in holding one another accountable to their studio covenants.
- guide heroes in their writing and Deep Books.
- be present with heroes during lunch and snack.
Preferred Experiences and Skills: At Journey Academy, it is important to be an active and passionate follower of Jesus, affirming a historical practice of Christianity. We are looking for an apprentice with deep curiosity, a lifelong love of learning, endless patience, and innovative practice. Candidates should have proven excellence in guiding others, whether in or out of a school environment. Montessori, project-based and/or experiential learning experience is a plus. Experience managing mixed-aged groups of children; planning and implementing games or projects; coaching or mentoring experience a plus.
This is a position for an independent learner who can work with little direct guidance; someone who likes to collaborate, experiment, evaluate and continually improve; and someone who is a flexible problem-solver. It is essential that this person can learn fast, loves to work hard, is an active reader and writer and comfortable using and learning a variety of technology tools. Most importantly, candidates should have a trust and respect for children’s ability to learn and grow without intensive adult intervention; be kind-hearted and tough-minded; have a calm demeanor and is familiar with the Hero’s Journey.
This role is the first step of the on-ramp to the Journey Academy team. Expect to be mentored in the practice of guiding by our entire team. Our goal is to help interested candidates to grow from a Guide Apprentice to a Lead Guide, helping even more heroes discern His calling and change the world.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: Our guides receive competitive pay, commensurate with experience.
If you’d like to begin the process to apply for this world-changing opportunity, please email your cover letter and resume to the Journey Academy Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.