https://journeyacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Journey-Logo-Small-1-300x138.png 0 0 Journey Academy https://journeyacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Journey-Logo-Small-1-300x138.png Journey Academy2017-05-12 22:08:222017-05-12 22:08:22The Treasure Within: Lifting Each Other Up
During our closing discussion on Thursday, our heroes recognized ways in which their studio mates were intentional and contributed to the community…
One hero made a great referee during P.E. Another used his intellect to help someone learn new concepts on No Red Ink. Yet another responded to her friends with kindness, and guided them through conflict with her wisdom. Another hero helped pick up all the leftover bottle rocket materials on the playground. Another demonstrated how to create more pressure in a bottle to help the heroes’ rockets explode. Another applied her organizational skills to help clean the game cupboard in the studio and organize the studio maintenance roles. Another demonstrated how to hold others accountable to the studio contract while speaking with encouragement. Another contributed an opposing viewpoint to a discussion this week which made it great, and another set high reading goals for herself, encouraging others to have a spirit of excellence!
It is beyond encouraging to see our heroes calling out the treasure in one another from such a young age!
Spirits were high this week, and not only did the heroes lift each other up, but they literally lifted their rockets! While last week was a struggle, our heroes persevered and each group was successfully able to create a rocket that launched well above 10 feet. Everyone was enthusiastic…and let’s just say, we have LOTS of successes to add to our success/failure wall for this quest!
Discussion topics this week included:
- What is the most important part of working as a team (Every member performing his/her role with integrity, communication, or compatibility)? How could the teamwork have been improved to prevent the Apollo 1 flash fire from taking the lives of 3 astronauts?
- What was Amelia Earhart’s Call to Adventure? Who was her mentor? What trials did she go through? How did she change the world? What adventure are you on right now?
- Who are some of your heroes?
- If you had the opportunity to travel to the International Space Station tomorrow, would you?
- When you hear of a hero’s story, are the trials more encouraging to you…or hearing how the hero changed the world? Why?