https://journeyacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Journey-Logo-Small-1-300x138.png 0 0 Journey Academy https://journeyacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Journey-Logo-Small-1-300x138.png Journey Academy2017-04-22 16:29:032017-04-22 16:29:03Week 27 (2017) – Growth Mindset: Revisiting the Fundamentals
“Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.’ -Henry Ford
This week, our heroes began snapping photos of failures and successes they experienced. There were several times during Project Time that science experiments did not go as expected, or rockets failed to launch properly. However, our heroes kept trying until they understood how to create the outcomes they wanted. We are now creating a failure/success wall in Journey Academy to showcase the Growth Mindset that our heroes are continuing to cultivate!
Apart from experimenting and launching rockets this week, our heroes continued striving towards their session goals and building their community up with it’s newest members.
We also spent some time revisiting the “WHY” behind Journey Academy. As our heroes are given more freedom, they need to be reminded of the purpose behind the processes that are in place, and how they add value to the studio. This week, our heroes specifically looked at what it takes to be an “independent learner”, and put their thoughts together to decide how to make the studio an even better place to learn.
Some other highlights this week included:
- Our heroes made paper mache globes to learn more about the Earth and its makeup.
- We had a visiting hero join us at Journey Academy on Thursday. We are hoping he can join us next year!
- During Art this week, our heroes began designing creative T-shirts that we will have screen printed.
Interesting discussion topics this week included:
- Would you want to go to Mars if the United States allowed people to travel there? What if the world was being overpopulated? Would you invest your money into space exploration to make traveling to Mars possible?
- Have you ever been told you were “too young”? Did it stop you from challenging yourself? Do you know anyone who has done something unexpected (like Sally Ride being the first woman to travel to space)?
- What is the role of a “Guide”? If you were going on a vacation to Italy and had never been there before, would you rather go alone or take a guide?
- What made you want to come to Journey Academy this year? What did Journey Academy offer to you? What stops you from experiencing those freedoms?
- Which science experiments have you completed this week that BEST showed Newton’s 3rd law of energy?